Sunday, January 5, 2014

Stop, Drop and Be Thankful!

This morning I slept in!

This in and of itself is not a bad thing.  Many people sleep in on Sunday morning and it is part of their routine and they love it.  But I am trying to teach myself to get up earlier.

I woke up, asked Hubby what time it was, and instantly my heart sank.

Then he told me that it was -5 F and that the roads are slippery and that the wind was blowing and we would not be going to church this morning.  Again, my heart sank.

Next my youngest popped her eyes wide open and I realized that there was NO WAY in the world that I'd get any "alone" time this morning, at least not the kind that I wanted.

You see, I had this image in my head.  Me, padding out to the kitchen before the rest of the house was awake.  Me, brewing a strong cup of coffee, drinking it slowly while I read my Bible, wrote out my prayer.  Me, opening my computer, blogging in peace.

The image continued.  I was supposed to run down to the dryer and retrieve the clothes I had so intentionally picked out and washed and dried last night so that my family wouldn't have to scramble for their Sunday best this morning.  This morning was going to be a GREAT SUNDAY MORNING and now it was all ruined.

I pouted.  I grumbled to Hubby about "really wanting to go to church."  I did not acknowledge his plan to make French Toast very graciously.

And then a few things came to my mind:

1.  One of my future keystone habits is going to be eliminating negative self-talk.  Why not start now?  It is not enough to just not say negative stuff in word form because those around us can read our body language disturbingly well.

2.  My ten year old was absolutely thrilled with the snowdrifts outside.  I had a choice.  Kill her joy or join in.

3.  How hypocritical of me it would be to sit at the dining room table and angrily read my Bible and pray while my husband and children happily prepared breakfast together.  What kind of a message would that send them?  I chose to sit there and read my Bible and write my prayers out with a smile on my face and I did banter a bit with them . . .I read them a snippet of something I had noted earlier this week in my prayer book.

4.  I also thought, ruefully, about a man in Florida who was on house arrest and he asked to be put in jail to get away from his wife.  I had a choice to make this morning.  I could be a shrew or I could choose to abandon my preconceived notion of the "perfect Sunday morning" and enjoy my family.

Discontentment, anger at one's circumstances . . .these light a fire of unhappiness in the soul that can consume anyone.

When a physical fire threatens to destroy people are told to STOP, DROP and ROLL.

I'd encourage you to STOP, DROP and BE THANKFUL when anger and discontentment threaten to destroy your joy.

Happy Sunday,

Love,

~ Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment