Thursday, January 2, 2014

Goal Setting ! Who Wants to Join Me?

It occurred to me sometime yesterday that Goal-Setting is a skill that I have not tried to hone.

I can give you all kinds of reasons why.

- Lack of Resources
- Lack of Direction
- Lack of Energy

So that is a little bit discouraging.  It brings to mind all sorts of cute or not so cute sayings:

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time."

"Where there is no vision the people perish." ~ Proverbs 29:18, KJV

And then it also brings to mind some rather encouraging words:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart  . . . .and He shall direct thy paths" ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God . . .and it shall be given him." ~ James 1:5

So I am going to start with this:  thinking about what I want my life to look like this year.  And then I'm going to think about how to "make that happen."

Basically, if I were an artist, maybe I'd think about a photograph I'd like to paint.  I'd think about the canvas I needed, the easel, the paints.  I'd consider the brushes I owned and whether I needed to replace any.  Do I have the proper pencil and things to sketch the photo first, if that was how I was going to begin this art project?  Now, if you are an artist and I'm describing this process wrong, please forgive me.  One of these days I'd love to learn how to BE a painter but I've never gotten close to that desire, other than watching that lovely man on television with the melodic voice turn a blank screen into a gorgeous scene with mountains and trees and lakes . . .

So . . .what kind of a picture  do you want your life to resemble?

Let's just spend a few minutes thinking about it:

Here are some possible categories

~ Friendships
~ Getting to know your surroundings
~ Keeping your house homey instead of feeling oppressed by it ( that's me at this point, so this is an area I will be working on)
~ Relationships with God and with the people closest to you
~ Health ( most people are very into taking care of their bodies in one way or another.  Are you?)

Yesterday I read a blog entry by Money Saving Mom and here is the link to it, if you care to look it over yourself . . .

http://moneysavingmom.com/2013/12/im-changing-goal-setting-2014.html

The one lesson that I really took away from this blog entry was this:

Make Your Goals More Specific

Crystal, the author of the above blog, mentions setting a goal of getting up at 6 am for 21 days instead of the vague goal of "get up earlier every day".

She nailed me right there!  I am now going to start marking on my calendar every day that I get up in time to see Hubby out the door . .

So anyway, I hope you do a little goal setting homework today . . .I hope you picture how you want your life to look in 2014.  That's what I'll be doing.

Blessings,

~ Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment