Friday, January 31, 2014

Menu for Week of Feb 3rd through the 8th

I thought I'd take a few minutes and post a weekly menu here:

Monday:  Meatloaf & Potatoes
Tuesday: Leftovers OR Fried Rice
Wednesday:  Tacos
Thursday:  Black Bean Chili
Friday:  Chicken Enchilada's
Saturday:  Spaghetti
Sunday:  Pot Roast

Most of these recipes are "in my head", but I still haven't memorized the Chicken Enchilada one yet!

To check it out, click here.  This is one of those great recipes to bring to church potlucks.  People love these enchiladas!

Meatloaf is easy enough to make.  Hamburger, eggs, oatmeal or bread crumbs.   Chopped onions, too.  I like it to be not too soupy, just a good consistency to form into a loaf. . . Mix it with some ketchup and mustard, salt and pepper or if you prefer, BBQ or a difference sauce.  Make twice what you'll eat for supper that night and then you can slice it and have it in sandwiches the next day.

My hubby never put meat in his fried rice, just eggs, peas and carrots with plenty of soy sauce.  It is an inexpensive but yummy meal.

Tacos.  We don't "do" lettuce and fresh tomatoes.  We put a can of black beans in with the meat to stretch it and that makes it cost a little less per meal.  You can also throw some rice in with the taco meat to stretch it.

Black bean chili . . .basically, my Hubby doesn't like kidney beans, so I put about 2 small cans of black beans in with one small can of tomatoes.  I add that to my browned burger ( about a pound, with onions and chopped garlic and chili powder).  My family loves it with sour cream and cheese on top.

Spaghetti . . .I must admit that I this is my "lazy" meal.  Sauce from a jar, noodles from a box, bread from the store.  Do I get points for using real butter?  :)  And making a salad?

The roast, I have learned, is best if I brown in on all four sides in my cast iron skillet and cook it in said skillet with an envelope of onion soup and water about halfway up the side of the roast.   I know . . .not healthy, but it is yummy!  It is easy to put potatoes in a crock pot to cook while the roast cooks, too.

And that's it from me today.

My toddler is  being uber fussy today.  If it wasn't for big sister I wouldn't have gotten this thought about and typed up . . .thus my recent absences.  I hope some of these sound good to you!

~ Jennifer






No comments:

Post a Comment