Saturday, January 18, 2014

Notes From a Couponer Wannabe: Part Two

Last week I talked about how I want to coupon.  I like the idea the idea of taking $1 off a product.  I like the idea of getting to keep more money in my pocket instead of always shelling it out.

So last week I bought a Sunday paper and went through the ads.

I actually didn't get too far with that.  Littlest came in while I was sorting through them and she jumped in on the bed and they went flying and I was afraid they'd get crumpled or ripped so I put them in a pile and they are hiding in a cupboard untouched since The Attack of the Toddler.

But I did use some coupons this week.  I downloaded coupons onto my Smartphone from Target.  I found out about them because MoneySaving Mom is on my Facebook feed.  I was disappointed to discover that my Target doesn't carry a lot of the products that were on sale via the Smartphone coupons.  Still, I got $1.25 off on frozen chicken.  That was cool.

Then there was the Walgreens shopping experience.  I normally pay $3.99 a gallon for milk.  That's basically $4 a gallon . . .This week I paid $1.99 a gallon ( $2).

So instead of $12 in milk I paid $6.  That felt good.  It also felt good to know that I could go to Wal-mart to pick up the bag of Cuties that I promised Firstborn for her speech meet and while there get milk for the same price as at Walgreens just by asking.  But I did bring the wrong brand of milk to the counter.  Apparently the brands matter . . .so I found out what my Wal-mart prefers and next time I'll know.

I went to my local Albertson's and there I had the annoying experience of having my bread ring up at $2.59 vs the $1.49 that I thought it was.  When I pointed this out to the clerk she gave it to me at the lower price.  So that was a savings of $1.10.

Just doing that math it looks like I saved

$1.25
  6.00
  1.10
  8.35

This may not seem like a lot to. . .it's NOT a lot, really.  But it is a start.

I have been reading about other ways to save money.  There are apps where you scan your receipt ( Ibotta & Checkout 51) and so next time I go to the grocery store I plan to scan my receipt with Checkout 51 to see how that works for me.

Another thing I'm going to do is get Hubby to help me figure out our cantankerous printer so that I can print out coupons for things I know we will use ( diapers, razors, deodorant, feminine products etc.)

Edited to add:  I spent $30 at CVS on baby products and got $10 back in CVS ExtraBucks which means I can go in there and buy $10 worth of stuff without cash.  I did print out $3.50 worth of coupons so that means that my coupon savings this week actually come to:

 8.35
 3.50
11.85

plus $10 to spend later

$21.85!  Yay!  I'm excited!

Be well and comment and tell me if you are couponing and how it's going for you!

~ Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment