Sunday, February 23, 2014

Musings about my Broken Goals. . .

So I guess I'm pretty average.  It turns out that almost everybody starts out all happy and motivated in January and then in February we all give up and go back to our pre-December selves.  Click here to read more about that . . .

Now the article, if you don't really want to read it yourself, basically says that 40% of Americans set New Year's goals.  But only 8% achieve them.

Wow.  There goes a bunch of my guilt.  Yay!

So what gives?

Lots of us aim too high;  and we are vague. 

I want to lose weight and feel better!

Well, okay.  I get that.

But I thought I had an achievable goal.  Get up earlier every day!  How hard is that?

It turns out it is kind of hard.  Here's why.

1.  My husband likes to stay up late.
2.  My 2 year old likes to get up at the same time I do and that ruins the whole point of getting up earlier.  ( Quiet time for mom to read her Bible and Pray and Blog.)
3.  Nobody else cares if I stay in bed or not.
4.  I like my warm bed a lot.  It is SOOOO cold right now.
5.  We all got sick and it is really hard to get up early when your body is screaming for "More Sleep!  More Sleep!"

So now I am re-thinking this goal.

Perhaps I need to go through each one of those five points and refute them. . . numbers 3, 4 & 5 are going to be the hardest ones because if I WANT to achieve this badly enough, if I believe it is a worthy enough goal, I can combat 1 & 2 much more easily . . . I wonder how many people stop their New Year's resolutions and then restart them?  Do I really NEED to get up really early right now?  Is there a different goal I should be pursuing?

I do not want this to be a year of goals set and then not accomplished at my house.  So I did good in January but not in February.  March is right around the corner.  I think I'll get Hubby to sit down with me and do some talking about goals with him . . .after all, he is my better half and he knows what looks good on me . . .habits included!  Here are some goals that CNN suggested.  Seems to make sense.  Click here to read more.

How are you doing out there with your goals?  Your choices in habits?

It's worth thinking about.  :)

~ Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment