Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve

I woke up this morning and drug my bleary self into in the kitchen.

I honestly felt like somebody had taken a gray marker and colored all over my soul.  Just down and "Bleh."

I mentally recited all the things that are wrong about my life.  I'll spare you the list!  And I asked God, for the thousandth time "Why!?!"

It would be so much easier if He'd just tweak a few things.  Just a few.  I'm not asking for much . . .

But then I sat down, opened my Women of Faith Bible and started to read.

And these words just jumped out at me:

Beware of discontent.  We will all face temptation to believe there is something better out there.  When  we accept that belief, we scorn the One who gives us our deepest intimacy and security.  Life on earth is flawed.  Nothing and no one apart from God can satisfy the aching vacuum in us caused by the fall;  only Jesus' love can fill the gap between what is and what was meant to be.

I suppose what shook me the most about my attitude after reading for a few minutes was that I was exhibiting and DO exhibit Eve's very brand of sin very often in my life without even realizing it.  And let's face it, that was the sin that started ALL the bad stuff on earth.  Super bad stuff we're talking about here!

The kids get upset and cross;  I get upset and cross, too.  I become discontent "If only we hadn't moved to a cold climate . . .we could go outside.  If only we hadn't moved here, we would have friends to call up on these days when we're going nuts inside . . .if only, if only, if only!"

I got to thinking about my New Year's Resolutions and I have decided to follow the lead of some other people . . .the idea of picking a word, not making a list.

My word is going to be "Morning."

Psalms 5:3  My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

The thing is this:  if I don't get up and read my Bible and pray;  if I don't get up before my girls and spend some time reading my Bible, praying and then planning how the day is going to go, well, chances are I am going to start the day frazzled and just plain discouraged.

So this year I want to do things differently.  I'm not sure HOW I will transform into a morning person ( I have some ideas) but I need to do it.  Not just for me, but for all those people around me.

Happy New Year's Eve to You!

May you know exactly what you are called to work on this year!

~ Jennifer




No comments:

Post a Comment