Monday, October 28, 2013

Why I Need Friends

Because two heads are better than one, because I can't be in two places at once and because, by George, I like to know that I'm not alone in this journey called life.

Two heads are better than one.  I'll confess:  I can't always figure things out.  Like last week when my daughter wanted to buy a ball gown and the woman with the gown was coming an hour towards me and I was going an hour towards her.  Where do you try on a ball gown!?!  The lady with the gown suggested a coffee shop. Ummm.  No.

But I didn't have any better ideas . . .I hung up the phone and started calling my friends.  Who called their friends!   And one brilliant mom told me what to do.  We ended up in Kohl's where we tried the dress on with wraps ( and we did buy a wrap from Kohl's!)

Friends.  They just know STUFF that you can't even find on pinterest. :)

Also, if you live very long at all you are going to run into a situation where you WILL need an extra pair of hands.  I remember the day I couldn't pick my son up from school because I got stuck in traffic.  The unhappy voice at the other end of the phone made me realize that, eh, this was not okay.  I needed someone who could pick my kiddos up if something happened.  Just a friendly couch to sit on while they did homework . . .someone who wouldn't mind sharing a few after school snacks with my kids . . .sounds like a small thing but in reality, it is huge.  I starting looking for friends immediately after that happened.  And you know what?  It wasn't long before I got a phone call.  A friend of mine had a sick baby who had FINALLY fallen asleep on her lap.

I picked up her oldest child and brought her home . . .peeked in to make sure that my friend was okay.  It was easy enough for me and REALLY wonderful for her because disturbing a sick baby is just torture for mom and baby.

And lastly . . .I need to know that I'm not alone.  I check in with my online buddies daily.  I call my mom and sister on a pretty regular basis . . .and every time we move ( which is quite often, unfortunately), I look for real, in the flesh type friends.

This is because I need someone to walk with;  someone to hang out with at the pool while our adorable kiddos swim.  I need to know that someone else's dog jumps the fence.  I need to know that someone else accidentally missed out on that great sale last week.  And I need to know that someone else has gone through the really tough stuff and come out the other side okay.

This is what I find when I look for friends:  there's great people out there who want to share their lives.  Life is good, but its even better when its shared.


No comments:

Post a Comment